Fox news| By Edward Rollins
It is always interesting to watch democracy in action and Iowa is ground zero.
Many political pundits and media analysts complain about the attention Iowa receives from candidates and the media because it goes first. But it also is a state filled with people who are willing to pay attention, to go to small events and forums (more than 1,500 have been held) and to show up at a caucus on a cold, often snowy night to participate in a ritual few states duplicate.
Millions of dollars are spent on TV commercials (over 60,000) and organization that Monday night produced a record turnout.
Iowa doesn’t always produce the eventual winners but it does eliminate the losers. With 17 Republican candidates starting this process, there are really only three or four real candidates now with voter support and sufficient monies to go on to the remaining contests.
With a record voter turnout in Iowa, the winner, Ted Cruz goes on with his extraordinary organization and conservative supporters with a big upset.
Marco Rubio, the best debater, came on strong and gained real momentum. He came very close to coming in second. Certainly he has to be viewed as a very serious candidate and the best bet to become the establishment candidate.
Trump is Trump and his special appeal to new voters and the angry anti-Washington element will go on, too, but with unpredictable results. He also paid a price for missing the last debate and fighting Fox News.
Ben Carson held his 10 percent base, but his candidacy is short lived and beyond Iowa has minimal support.
The biggest losers are Bush, Christie and Huckabee. Bush spent the most money and dropped like a rock.
You may also want to read
- 48% of 18-29 age feel American Dream is dead
- 5 Crucial Things Christians Should Know about ISIS
- 5 Products Americans Are Not Buying Anymore
- 67 percent of Americans support Obama's executive actions
- A Safer World, Thanks to the Iran Deal
- A top Republican was accidentally honest about the Benghazi investigation
- AP FACT CHECK: GOP claims on carpet bombs, Kurds and economy
- Actually, things are getting better
- Diplomacy Wins in Iran
- Early 2016 forecasts show Democrats’ huge Electoral College edge
- For Hillary Clinton, email no longer a joking matter
- Forget Trump. How Bernie Sanders and Ben Carson explain the crazy 2016 election.
- Trump: You Know, Ted Cruz is Kind of a “Maniac” In the Senate…”He’ll Never Get Anything Done” (VIDEO) (hapblog.com)
- Fox News’ Bret Baier Ties Ted Cruz In Knots Over His 2013 Immigration Stance (crooksandliars.com)
- Cruz Flubs Fox News Interview (politicalwire.com)
- Cruz Caught in a Massive Lie: Evangelical Base Will be Unfazed (trofire.com)
- WATCH: Fox Host Challenges Cruz On His 2013 Comments On Immigration (talkingpointsmemo.com)