Christian Headlines | By Veronica Neffinger | Posted on October 16, 2015
Kaltenbach’s parents were very active in the gay community. “They took me to gay clubs, parties, and campouts,” Kaltenbach remembers. “I marched in gay pride parades and went to political events. That was just my life.”
Kaltenbach says he hated Christians because the ones he came into contact with were so hostile toward gay people. He recalls that he even saw a supposed Christian holding up a sign that said “God hates you” during a gay protest parade.
Although Kaltenbach sometimes would attend an Episcopal church with his father, he says he didn’t learn much about God. “I learned that evangelicals were people who wouldn’t like you if you weren’t a white Republican,” he said.
Miraculously, Kaltenbach found Christ. Breaking the news to his parents did not go over well. Kaltenbach recalls that his dad grounded him and his mother refused to speak to him for months.
“But I always told them that God loved them not based on their sexuality but because of what his Son accomplished on the cross,” Kaltenbach states. “I had to continually show them examples of people, including my friends, who were not like the Christians they had known before.”
Through time and Kaltenbach’s persistence and the love he extended, both his parents also came to Christ.
When asked how reconciling with his parents influenced his ministry, Kaltenbach shared a story of the time he brought his mother to one of his old churches and was told by church elders never to bring someone like that to church again.
That was a turning point in Kaltenbach’s life and he prayed, “Lord, if you give me the chance to lead a church, I want it to be a place for people struggling with sexual identity, for addicts or gangbangers, for people who are bankrupt, for people having affairs.”
Photo courtesy: Wikipedia
Posted on October 16, 2015
Read the original article on the Christian Headlines
- A Festive Night at the London Theatres – Roswell Performance (atlantabaroque.ticketleap.com)
- The communion rail (quinersdiner.com)
- Miami priest to pope: Why not blast communism? (mobile.wnd.com)
- Israeli police commanders disciplined over gay pride stabbings (smh.com.au)
- Elton John agreed to attend Moscow gay pride rally in Vladimir Putin hoax call Sir Elton John said he would attend a gay pride parade in Moscow during a hoax… (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Russian Comedians Pranked Elton John With Fake Vladimir Putin Phone Call (washington.cbslocal.com)