Mexican tourists killed by Egyptian security forces

BBC



Security forces in Egypt have mistakenly killed 12 people, including Mexican tourists, during an anti-terror operation, the interior ministry says.

The tourists were travelling in four vehicles that entered a restricted zone in the Wahat area of the Western Desert, the ministry said.

Ten Mexicans and Egyptians were also injured and are being treated in a local hospital.

Egypt has been battling Islamist militants for years.

Attacks on army and police, mainly in the Sinai peninsula, have escalated since Islamist President Mohammed Morsi was ousted in 2013.

Mexico’s President Enrique Pena Nieto condemned the incident and said he had “demanded an exhaustive investigation by the Egyptian government”.

The Mexican foreign ministry confirmed that at least two of its nationals had been killed and said it was working to confirm the identities of the other victims.

In a statement, it said Mexico’s ambassador in Egypt had visited the local hospital and spoken to five Mexicans who were in a stable condition.
‘Mistakenly dealt with’

The statement (in Arabic) from Egypt’s interior ministry said the four vehicles the tourists were travelling in were “mistakenly dealt with” during a joint military police and armed forces operation.

It said the incident happened on Sunday in an area that “was off limits to foreign tourists”, but it did not give an exact location.

Egyptian officials say the tourists were in a no-go zone – and had not liaised with the authorities.

But a local tour guide has denied that, saying the group was in an unrestricted area, on top of sand dunes, trying to get a bird’s eye view.

Another local source – who claims to have spoken to a driver who survived the incident – told the BBC the tourists even had a police escort.

He said the safari was organised by a local hotel which co-ordinated with the security forces.

The vast Western Desert area is popular with tourists
The vast Western Desert area is popular with tourists

The group of tourists was preparing to camp out in the vast Western Desert when they came under fire.

According to the interior ministry’s statement, the security forces were pursuing Islamic militants in the desert, and targeted the four vehicles which were away from the main road with an Apache helicopter, which shot and hit the four vehicles.

The vast Western Desert area is popular with foreign sightseers, but is also attractive to militants, reports the BBC’s Orla Guerin in Cairo.

The area – which borders Libya – is a gateway to the long border and weapons are available on the other side, our correspondent adds.

On Sunday, the Islamic State group (IS) claimed it had “resisted a military operation” in the desert.

A group claiming to be affiliated with IS also said on Sunday that it was present in Farafra.

Google
Google

The insurgency in Egypt gathered momentum after the army overthrew President Mohammed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood in 2013 following protests against his rule.

Hundreds of police and soldiers have been killed, many of them in attacks claimed by IS’s Sinai Province affiliate.

Until recently most of the fighting has taken place in the Sinai Peninsula with occasional attacks taking place in Cairo and other cities.

In July, Egypt vowed to rid the peninsula of militants after clashes with IS fighters there killed more than 100 people.

Are you in the Wahat area? Have you been affected by what has happened? You can share your experience by emailing haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk.

Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:

Whatsapp: +44 7525 900971
Tweet: @BBC_HaveYourSay
Send an SMS or MMS to 61124

Source: BBC