Top News Stories For Today – Oct 11, 2017
Catalan declares independence
Catalonia’s hardliner leaders declare independence from Spain on September 10, but suspending implementation to allow negotiations to take place with the central government in Madrid. Speaking before Catalonia’s regional parliament, its president, Carles Puigdemont, urged Madrid to enter into dialogue. He said Catalonia had earned the right to independence.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy’s spokesman said, “The government rejects Catalonia’s tacit declaration of independence.” The spokesman added there couldn’t be dialogue when the Catalan leaders had already decided they want separation. VOA
US fails for 2018 World Cup
The US men’s national soccer team lost to Trinidad and Tobago 2-1 on Tuesday night, dashing the team’s dreams of playing in the 2018 World Cup. This will be the first time since 1986 that the Americans, ranked 28th, won’t play in the competition.
Trinidad and Tobago, ranked 99th, came into Tuesday night’s game having lost eight of its last nine games and tying once. The US needed to tie Trinidad and Tobago to make it to next year’s World Cup in Russia, but the team’s loss, coupled with Honduras’ win over Mexico and Panama defeating Costa Rica, dropped Team USA into fifth place in the CONCACAF qualifying tournament. Los Angeles Times, The Week
N Korean stole military documents
North Korean hackers allegedly stole classified military documents from a South Korean Defense Ministry database in September 2016, according to Rhee Cheol-hee, a member of South Korea’s National Assembly. He said the documents stolen included the South Korea-US wartime operational plan and a document that includes procedures to “decapitate” the North Korean leadership. About 235 gigabytes worth of military data was stolen by the hackers, Rhee said.
When asked about Rhee’s comments by reporters at a daily press briefing on Tuesday, a spokesman from South Korea’s Defense Ministry declined to comment, saying the information is classified. The Pentagon also declined to comment specifically on reports of the potential breach. CNN
India’s sex with child bride
India’s Supreme Court has struck down a legal clause that permits men to have sex with their underage wives. The clause, which was part of India’s law on rape, said intercourse between a man and his wife was permissible as long as she was over 15 years of age. The age of consent in India is 18, but marital rape is not considered an offence. The verdict has been hailed by women’s rights activists.
However correspondents say that the order will be difficult to enforce. The judgement said that girls under 18 would be able to charge their husbands with rape, as long as they complained within one year of being forced to have sexual relations. BBC
Movie producer Weinstein’s wife leaves him
The wife of producer Harvey Weinstein has said she is leaving him following allegations of sexual harassment from a string of actresses. Georgina Chapman, 41, described Weinstein’s actions as “unforgivable”.
Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow are the latest women to come forward. Both said the incidents happened early in their careers. On Tuesday, Weinstein also denied allegations of rape made in The New Yorker magazine. Weinstein was fired on Sunday from his own film studio. The Weinstein Company board said on Tuesday that they would help any criminal investigation. BBC
You may like
- 17 best places to travel in 2017
- A Famous island nobody knows
- A Perilous Ride to a Remote Valley
- A U.S. Strategy beyond the Cold War