World’s top news stories for today from Washingtonian post (March 25, 2016)
Ministers resigned because of Brussels attacks
Belgium’s justice and interior ministers resigned Thursday after acknowledging authorities had failed to act on Turkey’s request last year that they take custody of Brussels suicide bomber Ibrahim el-Bakraoui.
“The information was passed on, but we have not been diligent, or probably not diligent enough,” Justice Minister Koen Geens said. Belgium has faced criticism from the international community for several major missteps in the conveyance of crucial intelligence concerning Islamic extremists. At least 31 people were killed in Tuesday’s suicide attacks on the Brussels airport and a metro station; Belgian police are still hunting for another person seen on security cameras. The New York Times
Karadzic convicted of genocide, war crimes
Radovan Karadzic, the Serbs’ leader in Bosnia during the 1990s civil war, has been found responsible for genocide in Srebrenica as well as crimes against humanity and war crimes, a U.N. war crimes tribunal announced Thursday.
He will be sentenced to 40 years in prison. The International Criminal Court Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia did not, however, find evidence of Serbian forces’ “genocidal intent” during the war in Bosnia. Karadzic, 70, was allegedly behind the siege of Sarajevo, which left 11,000 dead, as well as the Srebrenica massacre, which took the lives of nearly 8,000 Muslim boys and men and was the worst mass killing in Europe since the Holocaust. RT News
US Presidential election
Kasich vs Clinton: Though John Kasich finds himself trailing in the Republican race, with his establishment friends now rallying around Ted Cruz, he may be the only one who could beat Hillary Clinton in November. That’s according to a new poll by Monmouth University, which found that while Clinton beat both Cruz and Donald Trump in head-to-head scenarios, the former secretary of State trailed Kasich by 6 percentage points. USA Today
Cruz vs Trump: As did Lincoln, Roosevelt and Reagan in their campaigns, Donald Trump took part this week in the very presidential tradition of threatening a fellow candidate’s wife on Twitter. After a super PAC unrelated to Cruz published an ad using a suggestive photo of Trump’s wife, Melania, from GQ, Trump laid the blame on Cruz anyway.
“Lyin’ Ted Cruz just used a picture of Melania from a G.Q. shoot in his ad,” Trump tweeted Tuesday. “Be careful, Lyin’ Ted, or I will spill the beans on your wife!” While it remains unclear what “beans” Trump was referring to, he posted an image on his Twitter account Wednesday another user had tweeted insulting the appearance of Cruz’s wife, Heidi Cruz: Cruz responded shortly afterward. He did not insult Trump’s wife in return: USA Today
Obama honors victims of Argentina’s dirty war
Obama said the United States was slow to speak out on the atrocities committed during Argentina’s former dictatorship but says his administration will “confront the past with honesty and transparency.” Obama on Thursday visited a memorial park to victims of the so-called “Dirty War“, on the 40th anniversary of the coup that installed a brutal military regime.
Declassified U.S. documents have shown that the United States backed the regime that human rights activists say was responsible for the death or disappearance of some 30,000 people between 1976 and 1983 – the Dirty War period.
Obama has said his administration will try to make amends by declassifying more documents which made further detail the role the United States played in the dictatorship.
Critics of the president’s visit, including many who lost friends or relatives during the years under the military government, say the Obamas should not have come to Argentina on such an important anniversary. Protests linked to the anniversary are expected in Buenos Aires and across the nation. VOA News
Boko Haram chief signals possible retirement
Alleged Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau has signaled his possible retirement in a new video that appeared online Thursday. The eight-minute video, posted to YouTube, shows a subdued Shekau sitting and quietly praising Islamic fighters. At the end he says, “For me, this is the end,” without elaborating. Yan St. Pierre, head of the German security firm MOSECON, says Shekau may be preparing Boko Haram for a leadership change.
Nigerian security agencies have never determined that the man in the videos is truly the head of shadowy Boko Haram. Officials have also said there were multiple Shekaus appearing in Boko Haram’s videos. The army said twice it had killed Shekau, only for the militant leader to reappear. The Islamist extremist group is blamed for some 20,000 deaths since beginning its insurgency in northern Nigeria in 2009.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has vowed to crush the group but the militants are believed responsible for a series of recent, deadly suicide bombings across northern Nigeria, many of them carried out by women. VOA News
You may like
- 10 amazing places in Japan
- 16 Early Warning Cancer Symptoms
- 48% of 18-29 age feel American Dream is dead
- A Famous island nobody knows
Related articles from around the web
- John Kasich Just Announced His Pick For Vice President, Trump NEVER Expected This (americasfreedomfighters.com)
- Alex Figliolia Jr. to GOP – Support Donald Trump for President (prweb.com)
- Is AIPAC the Fourth Pilgrimage Holiday? (jewishpress.com)
- Akilah’s “Afrocentric life” doodle wins Doodle 4 Google 2016 (googleblog.blogspot.si)