CBS | By Stephanie Condon
Trump cited the news that CNN is charging as much as $200,000 for a 30-second ad during the debate — 40 times the usual price.
“While I refuse to brag, and as you know very well, this tremendous increase in viewer interest and advertising is due 100% to ‘Donald J. Trump,'” Trump wrote. He also noted that the first GOP debate, hosted by Fox News last month, was cable’s most-watched non-sports telecast ever.
Trump told Zucker that he would send him a list of veterans’ groups that he feels should receive the profits from the September 16 broadcast.
“The veterans of our country, our finest people, have been treated horribly by our government and its ‘all talk and no action’ politicians,” he said. “In fact, some would say they are treated like third class citizens — even worse, in many cases, than illegal immigrants.”
Last month, Trump told Time magazine that he had the clout to compel CNN to give its debate profits to charity.
“If I go to CNN and I say, ‘Look, you’re going to have a massive audience,’ and if I say to them, ‘I want $10 million for charity, nothing for myself,’ what happens? I’m not showing up, right?” he said. “I’m not showing up unless you give $10 million to cancer, to this, to that.”
© 2015 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
You may like
- How Donald Trump finally won a Republican presidential debate
- Koch brother: Trump plan would 'destroy free society'
- The Republican formula to snag Christian votes is unraveling
- Trump should be banned from entering the UK
Related articles from around the web
- The 17 Derpiest Memes Donald Trump Has Ever Retweeted (ijreview.com)
- FOX News Continues to Smear Donald Trump – Omits FACT That Heidi Cruz Called Trump a Liar (VIDEO) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin Bromance Hits A Rough Patch (onenewspage.us)
- Megyn Kelly Offers Scathing One-Word Response to Trump Attack on Heidi Cruz (mediaite.com)