According to the Wikipedia, spring rolls are a large variety of filled, rolled appetizers found in East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisine. The name is a literal translation of the Chinese chūn juǎn (春卷 ‘spring roll‘). The kind of wrapper, fillings, and cooking technique used, as well as the name, vary considerably within this large area, depending on the region’s culture. Spring rolls are popular during the Chinese New Year Season.
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp
- 1 pound uncooked boneless lean pork
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, cleaned 8 green onions
- 1 red pepper, seeded
- 8 ounces Chinese cabbage (about 1/2 of a head)
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1.5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated pared fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water about 60 ml
- 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 24 spring roll or egg roll wrappers
- 3 cups about 750 mL vegetable oil
- Remove shells and back veins from shrimp. Remove and discard fat from pork. Finely chop shrimp, pork, mushrooms, onions, pepper, cabbage and water chestnuts using cleaver, sharp knife or food processor.
- Transfer all chopped ingredients to large mixing bowl. Add sherry, soy sauce, ginger, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Mix water and cornstarch in small bowl until blended.
- Place Vt cup (60 mL) of the pork mixture evenly across a corner of each wrapper. Brush cornstarch mixture evenly over all edges of wrappers. Carefully roll wrappers around filling, folding in the corners.
- Heat oil in wok over high heat until it reaches 375°F (190°C). Fry 3 or 4 rolls at a time in the hot oil until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper. Makes 2 dozen
- 12 Foods That Lower Cholesterol Naturally
- 16 Cancer Causing Foods You Should Never Eat
- 40 Cancer Fighting Foods You Need To Start Eating Today
- Pesto Salmon and Italian Veggies in Foil
- Super Easy American Style Spring Rolls (poshonabudget.com)
- Chinese 5-Spice Pulled Jackfruit Spring Rolls [Vegan] (onegreenplanet.org)
- Mango Avocado Spring Rolls + Stranger Things (thefriendlyfig.com)
- Baked Banana “Fritter” Spring Rolls & Banana Chocolate “Crepe” Spring Rolls (missmarzipan.com)